Summary of History
- 1950 – First meeting was held to establish a Reform Congregation in Utica and the new congregation became a member of the UAHC (Union of American Hebrew Congregations), now the URJ.
- Congregation held services and Sunday School classes at the Hotel Hamilton.
- The first Torah was presented during Sukkot in 1950.
- 1952 – Temple Emanu-El bought the house on the corner of Higby and Genesee Streets across from it’s current location and also purchased the land for the Cemetery on Roberts Road in Sauquoit.
- 1959 – 1960 – The cornerstone was laid for the current building at 2710 Genesee Street and the ner tamid was lit in the newly dedicated building on May 22.
- 1977 – The Waldman Family established a fund to provide the Annual Rabbi Elliott D. Waldman lecture series that continues to this day in memory of a beloved Rabbi.
- 1979 – The mortgage for 2710 Genesee Street was burned at a dinner dance held to celebrate it’s final payment.
- 1984 – T.E.Y. was granted the Kavod Annual Award from the National Federation of Temple Youth for outstanding programming in many areas.
- 1984 – The first of many annual gala/raffle events was held.
- 1999 – Rabbi Henry Bamberger retires after 17 years of service and becomes Rabbi Emeritus.
- 2006 – The Conservative Congregation, Temple Beth El, sold their building and moved into 2710 Genesee Street with us. That February, we walked their Torahs down Genesee Street to their new home. We continue to share the building and conduct several festival celebrations together. However, we are still two separate entities that lead a full compliment of Reform and Conservative services.
- 2006 – Rabbi Jeffery M. Segall is hired as a shared Rabbi between Temple Emanu-El and Temple Beth El.
- 2011 – Rabbi Cassi Kail is hired as a full time Rabbi for Temple Emanu-El
- 2017 – Rabbi Peter Schaktman is hired as a full time Rabbi for Temple Emanu-El
Click here for our complete history